Thursday 24 November 2011

On the front row at the inaugural Tel Aviv Fashion Week



We were in another queue, this time to get backstage after the Pas Pour Toi show, on the second day of Tel Aviv's inaugural fashion week. Queue is probably not the mot juste . It was a scrum Just when it seemed that the British journalists' reflexive line-forming would be trounced by the natives' more rambunctious approach, Dorit Bar Or, the designer of Pas Pour Toi, appeared, a tornado of red curls and redder lips, and ushered us past the bouncers.

"Get out of the way you Israelis," she yelled to the home-team media jostling to interview her. "I need to talk to the international press. And hands off my clothes," she added, grabbing one of the rails and wheeling it in front of her as she led the international media (three Brits, a couple of French bloggers and a handful of Italians) to a quiet corner. "That beading is all hand-made. I don't want the mob wrecking it."

You won't find Miuccia Prada or even Christopher Kane pushing their own rails or haranguing journalists, however good-naturedly. Eventually, Israeli designers may learn to play the international game, but meantime, their way is far more entertaining.

Asked why she named her label Pas Pour Toi (Not For You), Bar Or responded affably: "Forgive my arrogance, but I'm a style icon in Israel. I'm a very famous actress and I got sick of everyone asking where my clothes were from. I started making up names. It was hilarious. Everyone would say, 'Oh yes I love that designer' or 'I wear such and such's clothes, too' - and it didn't exist. So it amuses me to call my line Not For You. It's the opposite of inclusive

No comments:

Post a Comment