Monday 5 December 2011

Crowd Gives Meredith Vieira Rousing Sendoff on Final Show


Meredith Vieira’s last day on TODAY was filled with tributes and emotion, as she was sent off by friends, co-workers and fans in style.
Meredith Vieira, the popular co-anchor of the TODAY show, ran through a raucous crowd, arm in arm with her co-anchors as she celebrated her last day on the show. As the crowd’s cheering reached its zenith, it was clear that Vieira was overcome with emotion. A bit choked up, she told the crowd, "All of you I will put in my heart." Video of Vieira running through the crowd quickly became a viral hit online, and her departure from the show – as well as the details of the final show itself – became a big topic of discussion on Twitter as well.

Said Carole King, who performed for Vieira’s sendoff, "We are going to miss you. It’s been so amazing having you in our lives on a daily basis. Thank you for so many great memories." Among the songs King performed was "You’ve Got a Friend," a touching tribute to Vieira’s time on the show. Among those appearing on the sendoff show was actor Jack Black, who said he wrote a song for Vieira and then began to sing Elton John’s "Candle in the Wind." He then joked, "OK, I didn’t write that, but I love you."

Taped messages from NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams and late-night host Jay Leno were also played. Said Vieira of her time on the show, "From the moment I came here, everybody embraced me and made me feel like I was part of this family. What am I going to miss most? Probably the sense of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment