Saturday 20 August 2011

Michael Vick denies Roger Goodell steered him to Philly


Michael Vick is glad he chose the Philadelphia Eagles, even if he had more attractive options.

After telling GQ magazine that he didn't want to come to Philadelphia to be a third-string quarterback following his release from federal prison two years ago, Vick clarified his remarks Thursday.

"I did speak with many people, but the decision to sign in Philadelphia was based on my discussions with my agent, my family and with Coach (Andy) Reid," Vick said in a statement.

"And after those discussions, it became clear to me that this was the place I wanted to play and resume my NFL career. The commissioner never told me to sign or not sign with particular teams."

In the September issue of GQ, the article states: "After meeting with Commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced -- and granted league approval -- to sign with Philly."

Vick told the magazine: "I didn't want to come to Philadelphia. ... Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options."

The NFL issued a statement that read, "The commissioner would never steer players to or away from particular teams and did not do so in this case."


No comments:

Post a Comment